Orange Historical Society
Drag box to select area
The city of Orange was incorporated in 1822 named after the William Prince of Orange in appreciation for benefits received. The land was purchased from the the Paugussett Indians in 1639 and was settled after 1700. The Orange Historical Society was founded in 1964 with artifacts dating back earlier than incorporation, and rigorously aims to protect and preserve the history of this era and subsequent eras. The artifacts can be seen on the Sunday tours of the Stone-Otis House - built in 1830 by Dennis Stone, an early prominent figure of Orange, and restored by the Orange Historical Society — and The Academy - originally serving as a school for the Orange community, an assembly room and later as the town hall until 1967. These two buildings of significance in the history of Orange today serve as museums for the town. In addition, a third museum — The Bryan-Andrew House — acquired by the town, belonged to the Bryan family. Richard Bryan, Jr. purchased 208 acres of land in 1700 and it was known as Bryan's Farm. Aside from the three museum houses, the society itself has nearly 350 members and meets a handful of times a year featuring speakers, exhibits and other educational and restorative projects which are open to the public as well. Orange does not appear to have any local legends or folklore or really any notable historical happenings other than a reputation for being a quiet little haven remaining in relative peace since its beginning.
605 Orange Center Rd, Orange, CT 06477
- Fax: 508-240-7274
- Hours: Apr - Oct: Sun 1pm - 4pm
- Hours: June - October: Mon - Sun, 10am - 8pm
- Accessible: no