1. Old Business.
- Hubbell withdrew application to build on site. The application was no longer attainable since the town bought the site.
- Construction at the UI property is progressing on schedule.
- The tag sale held at Orange Center Shopping Center was issued a cease and desist order. Primary concern for public safety for motor vehicles, pedestrians and emergency vehicles.
2. New Business.
- Recommended definition of a detached garage: Shall not exceed 675 sq-ft. and not higher than 15 ft. Detached from the main dwelling and can be used for the residence Automobiles, recreation vehicles, storage and/or lawn equipment. No living floor area is allowed, but it can contain a bathroom.
3. Review of the Minutes from the June 29, 2011; and July 19, 2011 meetings.
- Both Minutes were approved.
PUBLIC HEARING (*1)
* SPECIAL PERMIT APPLICATION, submitted by St. Barbara’s Greek
Orthodox Church 480 Racebrook Rd. To convert a garage at the rear of the
Church offices into a Chapel.
- Gregory J. Stamos, Attorney for St. Barbara's explained the use of the proposed chapel and confirmed that all necessary approvals from town officials had been obtained in writing.
- David Ball, Architect for the project reviewed the site plans with the board.
- James Zeoli, First Selectman, spoke in favor. Mr. Zeoli stated that St. Barbara's has been a good neighbor and outstanding member of the community. He recommended approval of the permit.
- Mr. Stamos further explained that the proposed chapel would be built as a replica of the church from Ansonia which is closed and would be used mainly for private meditation. It would be more accessible to the parishioners.
Public Hearing was closed.
4. The board discussed the petition and finding that it met all standards and would be an asset to current building took a vote.
- The board unanimously approved the petition to convert the garage into a chapel.
The meeting was adjourned.