It’s been another busy day for the Orange Volunteer Fire Department.
The activity began early this morning at 4:07 a.m., when a fire alarm went off at the 99 Restaurant at 377 Boston Post Road.
A police officer swung by and verified that the audible alarm was going off, as well as the flashing fire alarm light inside the building.
Fire crews arrived within minutes.
The investigation quickly brought firefighters to the adjoining Dunkin Donuts restaurant (also listed as 377 Boston Post Road), where the sprinkler system had activated and was making “a mess.” Firefighters shut the water off, and requested a translator to help communicate with an employee in the store.
Squeegies were used to push the water out of the restaurant, but an exterior snow pile prevented the water from draining properly. Around 4:26 a.m., the sprinkler inexplicably activated again, and the building owner was on the way.
The Fire Chief and Asst. Chief were on the scene until about 5:10 a.m.
Fire Marshal Tim Smith said it is unknown why the sprinkler head activated, but it is being replaced. The restaurant had some water damage, but was expected to be cleaned up and open as usual by noon today.
… and then
After catching a couple of hours of sleep or perhaps arriving at their regular paying jobs, volunteer firefighters were summoned again, this time for a possible gas leak at the Hitchcock Plaza, 185 Boston Post Road, at 9:54 a.m.
A second alarm went out at 9:59 a.m. and the gas odor reportedly was coming from the rooftop of J Cleaners in the plaza.
A Gas Company Truck arrived at 10:02 a.m. and shut the gas off while the investigation continued.
The source of the problem, according to the fire marshal was a rusted gas pipe on the roof of J Cleaners.
Repairmen will replace the damaged part and all is expected to be back to normal after it is inspected.