The region will be awash with dogs needing homes over the next few days as a large group of chihuahuas arrive from California looking for Connecticut homes and the New Haven Animal Shelter pushes adoptions from its overly-full facility.
The New Haven Register reports that more than 50 Chihuahuas have made the trek from California, where they were languishing in animal shelters and in danger of being put to sleep. They will be available for adoption at Petco, 1401 Boston Post Rd in Milford this weekend, which is the company’s National Adoption Weekend, Register reporter Rich Scinto reports.
Adoptions will take place from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on both Saturday and Sunday at Petco. Fees for adoption are $395, which include spay/neuter, vaccines, health certificates, microchipping and transport, Scinto reports, and a portion of the adoption fee will go towards funding future transports.
American Airlines reduced its fees for shipping the animals across the country, and a grant from the Petco Foundation paid the rest of the airfare, kennels and veterinary care on the West Coast, according to the report.
Meanwhile, the New Haven Animal Shelter is having its own puppypalooza as its facility is overwhelmed with pets people have been dropping off or leaving outside its building, WTNH reports.
With about 70 dogs and 30 cats currently taking up residence at the shelter at 81 Fournier St. in New Haven, employees are hoping residents will step up and give the homeless pets a forever home.
- You must be 18 years of age and apply in person.
- Have a valid identification with your current address.
- Be able to verify that you can have a pet where you live. Those who wish to adopt must provide proof of home ownership (mortgage statement or tax bill) or provide your landlord’s phone number or lease.
- Understand that the New Haven Animal Shelter reserves the right to deny an adoption for any reason.
- All pets of age will be spayed or neutered prior to pick-up once adoption is complete.
- Those looking to adopt a companion for their dog must bring the dog to meet the shelter dog to ensure it is a good match.
- Cost for adoption is $80 and includes vaccinations and spay/neuter voucher.. CASH ONLY PLEASE.